Saturday, May 1, 2010

Head 'em Up! Move 'em Out!

Before it was the Wal-Mart commercial song, it was the theme song for Rawhide, a great TV show from my childhood (satellite DID have its advantages), and my love for the Western (and Rowdy Yates) was born!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl2fONPgIJEhttp://

^^^1:04 :)

We're on the road! (well...almost...) Our plan is to leave early in the morning, drive all day, stop in Kansas City MO, drive all day Thursday, stop probably somewhere near Cheyenne, and then make it into Cody, Wyoming Friday about lunchtime. The time to begin this epic journey has begun! :)

I talked to the curator of the Buffalo Bill Museum, and my boss, Dr. Rumm today. We are getting all squared away and ready to start work on Monday morning! After several questions about my work this summer (and I still don't know EXACTLY what all I will be doing) I thought I would pass along what I DO know. The Buffalo Bill Historical Center is made up of 5 museums (Draper Art Museum, Firearms, Plains Indians, Natural History, and Buffalo Bill). I am the intern for the Buffalo Bill Museum. In the fall of 2011, the Buffalo Bill Museum will close to reconstruct and basically re-do the museum. They are going to redesign the information put forth by the museum and are attempting to make it more kid-friendly and interactive. That's where I come in. There are plans for a scale model of one of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Shows (shame on you if you don't know who/what he is...you'll have to google him yourself to find out)...anyway...with the scale model, they want me to find stories, antecdotes, artifacts, pictures, etc. about the people involved with the show, whether it's Buffalo Bill himself, or people helping set up the tents or working with animals. Dr. Rumm said I would become VERY familiar with a scrapbook that they have from one of Buffalo Bill's shows. I am also helping another girl in the museum with some artifacts, documenting what they are and that sort of thing. Other than that, I have absolutely no idea what else i'll be doing at the museum.

This internship is going to be terrific, because it'll show me what museum curators do, and it will help me decide if that is what I want to do as a career. I'm doing a lot more research oriented stuff, rather than just giving tours of the museum to kids and families that visit the museum.

I'm off to sleep, we're making an early start. Please pray for our safe travels and safe arrival. We've got 30+ hours of driving ahead of us, so we need to stay sharp and focused. At least THIS cattle drive only has 1 car in it. In the words of Gil Favor, "Head 'em up! Move 'em out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment