Monday, May 17, 2010

First Day Jitters...Out of the Way!

Today was awesome!! I think i'm REALLY going to enjoy this summer. I got to work about 8:30 and got checked in and met with John. Then I went to Chris for my orientation stuff and filled out all the paperwork. About 10:30 John got me set up in my OFFICE!!!! (it's really a cubicle, but I'm going to call it an office!)
I also got set up with a sweet name tag and swipey badge that gets me access to the offices and rooms below the museum exhibits. Pretty sweet if you ask me! The red means that I am a seasonal employee, people with yellow are volunteers, and people with blue are year-round employees.

In my office, I got started reading 2 books for some additional background information that John wanted me to know before I got started doing lots of research. I finished one book (which suprised him...I don't think he expected that so quick) and took my notes on it. I had a lunch break in the Education Dept. which is where my office is. All the ladies that work there are really nice. One of them was helping me with my computer and I thanked her for it, and Emily, another girl shouted from around the corner, "I LOVE YOUR ACCENT!" .....I guess it has begun. :) I later met another lady and she asked if I'd been out this way before and I started to say "I've been out here before" and she said she knew I was from the south as soon as I said "I've been." She was from Virginia originally although you really couldn't tell. :)

I met back with John at 4 to go over more in depth what I would be doing for the summer and I will certainly be busy! I'm mainly researching stories about people who worked in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, at the 1894 season in Brooklyn, NY. I'm going to be cataloguing a lot of information from a scrapbook that the museum has, and researching some from the Denver library, as well as transcribing some newspaper articles. I'm really going to be busy this summer!

After work, I went and signed up for a membership at the Rec which has a REALLY nice facility. My next stop was at the library to get a library card, but I have to check sometime at the museum before I can sign up. I'm getting all settled in!

My spanish is improving! I talked to my Spanish housemates last night for about 45 minutes and then a little bit again today. Maybe I'll be more fluent by the end of the summer. I had some rice and meat that they fixed for supper and shared with me tonight...it was MUY CALIENTE!!! :) But I enjoyed it...and was happy they wanted to share with me.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers today. I'm really feeling more comfortable with everything that is going on and all my work this summer. The transition is going smoothly so far! Adios! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that Wyoming hasn't changed you... Always excited over little things :) I love you for that! (amongst other things, btw)
    Oh--and i forgot to tell you on the phone tonight that I went to Orange Leaf with two of my youth tonight and guess who was there! Katie and Megan! hahah random!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl! I'm so excited you're having such a good time!! Everything sounds like it is off to a great start!!

    and I know right? So crazy--Carolina is probably stalking me and Megan....

    Glad you're having such a wonderful time so far!

    ReplyDelete