Thursday, June 24, 2010

Perfect Temperatures

Last night's weather was absolutely perfect. It might possibly have been the most perfect weather I have ever been in. I was out taking a walk through one of the nearby neighborhoods behind the museum because I just wanted to be outside. The temperature was about 70 or so with a slight breeze blowing. There was 0% humidity and it was perfect. I kept walking around and around just so I didn't have to go back inside! I sure hope that we have more nights like that.

Unfortunately, while I was outside enjoying the perfect weather, the mosquitos were too. While I was taking in the fresh air, they were taking in ME! I didn't think about putting on my bug spray before going outside, but believe me, I won't make that mistake again. I have 3 huge welts on the back of my leg that itch like crazy. I made it back to the house and decided to look at the back of my leg. Good thing I did because the mosquito was still attached!! I slapped him REAL fast...but it was too late. He'd already got me. Side note, I also discovered that a mosquito had mdae its way into my hair, and I have an extremely annoying bug bite in my hair. They won't catch me out with no bug spray again!
I went a few miles out of town on a short drive today just to take in some different scenery. Mike, I found some more fences, so please oblige me. I tried to take pictures of the fences with something in the background to look at so you don't just have to see the fence. A lot of the farms (I guess they are ranches out here) were irrigating right at dusk. There were a lot of deer and antelope out enjoying the freshly watered grass, so I made sure not to hit one. I then caught the end of the sunset behind the clouds before heading back to town.
For a bit of terrific news, I finished the 1894 scrapbook today!!! That was one of my big projects to be working on throughout the summer, so now that I've got that behind me, I can concentrate a lot more on specific research. No more staring at tiny newspaper clippings scanned into the computer. My eyes will thank me! I will still be using it periodically, but not everyday like I have been. Tomorrow is an exciting day, because I get transferred over to the Education Dept. for the day. They need all the help they can get with a "Family Fun Day" that they have organized. We are planning to have food, games, and educational things from the 1800's that I am TOTALLY pumped about! I'm in charge of the puppet station before we rotate around, and we have some REALLY cool puppets. Fran and Nancy are the cowgirl and girl horse, we have yet to name the boy horse but he will probably end up being Ned to go with Nancy. There's also Bill the Buffalo (I know, I know, I had to do it...we work in the Buffalo Bill Museum), Fertie the Ferret (I did not name that one), Bucky the Mule Deer, and plenty of other animals we haven't named yet. There's going to be relay races with a yoke and buckets carrying water, blind horse relays (which I practiced today in the office and it is pretty awesome), making corn husk dolls, homemade ice cream, and my personal fav, a marbles station to play marbles. It is a very ambitious day for the 7 of us that are manning the stations, but I am VERY excited. This is my first time working with the public at the museum, so the change of pace and assignment will be nice, but mostly, there's going to be KIDS there!! I'm hoping the 7 and 8 year olds make it to my puppet station because I could use some "peanut butters" to play with.
I'm planning to take TONS of pictures of Family Fun Day (when i'm not busy being a puppeteer of course), so look out for those!

No comments:

Post a Comment