Sunday, June 27, 2010

Days of Adventures

Family Fun Day was a huge success! I had a great time playing with all the kids and being outside for the entire day. This is my station...a puppet stand with some REALLy neat puppets!


We also had some homemade ice cream that we served after lunch. It was probably the most popular thing we did that day.

A family band came and played some songs and taught line and square dances that was really fun for the kids.
Yesterday, I went to Billings, MT to do some shopping and see some different scenery. Jessica, another girl in the Education Dept. rode up with me and we had a great time. Her family is Mormon, so they all went to the Temple while I was shopping and then we met back up again after they were finished. I got some neat stuff at Hobby Lobby, which is one of my favorite stores, and was very pleased with my entire trip.

After lunch, Jessica's cousin Arley decided to ride back with us, so we had a few more stops and made our way back home. We all stopped at the Japanese Relocation Camp about 10 miles outside of Cody, which was really neat for me to see. There are only a few building left standing because they were parceled out to homesteaders to use as houses. Jessica's grandmother lives in part of one of the barracks. Her grandfather was one of the first people to discover Buchenwald in Germany, and I got to see some of the pictures that he had taken.
This is part of the hospital complex that was in the camp.
This is inside one of the barracks. They are all boarded up so people don't mess them up, but I squeezed my camera in one of the cracks to get a clear picture.
The camp was 1 square mile of barracks, plus a couple of other buildings and facilities around it, taking up most of the valley that you can see here, with Heart Mountain in the distance.
This is probably my favorite picture that i've taken so far out here. It is absolutely beautiful. I love it out here! :)

At church today, I met a guy from Hickory! He had been out here back in college and met somebody and when they got married, they moved out here. He's also an alum of UNC so we had a big time talking about UNC stuff and Hickory/Lenoir stuff. What a small world!

No comments:

Post a Comment