Saturday, July 31, 2010

Friends, Fairs, and Milking

This week has turned into a fairly busy one (no pun intended). My longtime friend, 8th grade chorus/band teacher, and piano teacher came by for a visit with her daughter and parents, all the way from Germany! Her parents live in Montana, so while she was visiting them, they all popped over for a quick visit. It was SOOOO great to see them.



Friday night, I went to the Park County fair, which is the county that Cody is in. My favorite exhibit by FAR was the hay exhibit. I could have stayed in there forever it smelled so good! There were lots of wildflowers and beautiful pictures and neat things on display.


I spent the night with Jessica, and this morning, I got my first lesson in milking! Grandaddy would be so proud of me! Even though they do mechanized milking, I still got to practice by hand
which was a little weird at first, but I got milk to come out first try! I was very proud of myself, and Jessica said I did a good job, since most people she teaches don't really want to do it. Naturally, I squirted my shorts first thing, so I got to walk around with warm, soggy, milk shorts for awhile, but it was a lot of fun. They have a system down for milking that was really efficient, and when we timed them, the average time it took to milk a cow was 7 minutes. If you can be fast washing them off and attaching all the milkers, you can really shorten the milking shift. The George's milk their cows twice a day, starting at 2 in the morning and going till 9 or so, and then again in mid-afternoon.

Things are starting to wind up out here and settle down. I'm finishing up on my projects at work and i'm trying to get those organized and finalized in the next 2 weeks before I come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment