What a busy weekend! I went swimming out at Jessica's pond again and there was actually good weather this time! The past two times that I've been out there've been storms that sweep in right when we want to get in the water. After swimming, I got to help out with some more farm chores. I found my baby calf, #143, who I have renamed Bowtie, because of the white spot on her forehead that looks like a bowtie.
I got to feed her by hand which was fun, and I think she remembered me!! :) All the cows liked my pants, and everywhere I turned, there were calves licking my pants. As the calves get older, they get moved from the individual crates into a bigger corrals. We had to move some of them from one side behind a barn to the other side in a narrow section with a stream in it. We got the calves to chase us to get them to go to the right side, and the ones closest to me kept licking my pants. Cow tongues make me laugh, especially on the full-grown cows. They stick their heads through a gate to eat grain and hay on the other side, and they'll sweep their tongues around on the ground til they get every last bit of it. It is hilarious!
After feeding the calves, I got to go irrigating again. After getting caught in a brief rainstorm, the sky cleared up pretty quickly and the sun came back out again. I've been able to set the 1 1/2 inch pipes, but the 3 inch pipes are really tough and I can't do them. I am determined to get at least 1 set by the end of the summer. Watching Jessica and Arley just set them and throw them down first try is frustrating sometimes because I don't want to be a burden while they are trying to get chores done and I just want to be able to do it! Hopefully I can get it down pat soon.
Back at the farm, I got to see one of my favorite sights---the sun shining from behind the clouds with its rays spanning out. I love it when the sun does that, because I always feel like God is looking down on us and checking to make sure we're doing ok. One of my favorite times that i've seen it is over behind Grandfather Mountain. This one was hard to beat though.
Sunday was certainly a day of rest for me. I had spent the night at Jessica's and got up early to help them feed the calves again (personal feeding #2 for Bowtie!!) and then I headed back into town to get ready for church. After church I got to take a good nap which I really needed and I pretty much spent the rest of the day relaxing and piddling around. Sunday evening, the other interns and I went to see Inception at the movies. It was awesome! I certainly agree with Mike that it's one of the better movies i've seen. I liked it so much, i'm going back on Thursday to see it again! Monday night, I went to the drive-in in Powell again. This time we watched The A-Team which was ok. The setup is really nice, because they put a whole bunch of couches in the back of the trucks and back up towards the screen. There are supposedly 3 drive-ins in NC that i'm going to have to look up. I may have a new hobby! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment