Sunday, October 9, 2016

Sanctuary of Peace

As a millennial, one of the increasing social pressures is to find the perfect caption and hashtag for posting pictures to social media. I usually tweak (briefly) the first thing that pops in my head and then move on to accomplishing other things. I captioned one of my recent pictures "Sanctuary of Peace" to describe a short hike into the backcountry in the park. I was close enough to see the parking lot off in the distance and not worry about getting surprised by any wild animals (I was prepared with my bear spray) but far enough away to go over a rise and turn my back on the cares of the modern world. On the other side of this rise, all I could hear was silence. And yes, it is possible to hear silence. A nice breeze was blowing and off in the distance was a herd of about 60 bison. There was no sound of cars driving on the road or people talking. Absolute stillness and peace. I wish I could have spent all afternoon sitting right there. I will definitely be going back to my accurately named Sanctuary of Peace. 



Needless to say, I am quite pleased with the caption I created. :) 


One of my fellow interns from years ago at the Buffalo Bill came to visit, and we went to Idaho Falls, mostly to get Chickfila, but also to explore and have an adventure. After a long week of cool and wet weather, it was really nice to have a blue sky day.






People tend to forget that mountain ranges have two sides, and that a famous mountain range and vista has a reverse viewpoint to people who live on the other side. While the most famous view of the Tetons is from Jackson and the National Park side in Wyoming, they are just as beautiful looking east from Idaho. Tourism has not made the view such a big deal from this angle, and houses do not cost multi-millions. Farmland has preserved the iconic image and prevented developers from building too close. With far fewer people to compete with looking, it is a great experience to see them from "the back side."







No comments:

Post a Comment