Sunday, November 30, 2014
The Christmas Jukebox
We've all had them. Those nights where you try every trick in the book and wish yourself to sleep, but it just doesn't happen. Knowing you really need to sleep because you have a big day that starts early. And it just keeps eluding you.
I'm a great sleeper, usually don't wake up during the night, and feel rested when I wake up. But...I've occasionally had these nights and sometimes have been able to do schoolwork or planning of the next couple days or "catching up" on some reading. A couple of weeks ago, I had one of these sleepless late nights and decided Christmas music was the cure and I would get a jump on planning out my Christmas Jukebox. Well....three hours and many tears later, I had listened to all of my favorites and decided that along with posting the Youtube links, I would write a few comments about what these songs mean to me (in the blog). I'll just post the songs on facebook and have the commentary on here.
Before I start this year's jukebox, I have a couple of comments.
1) I sometimes have trouble finding a youtube version that I want. I mostly listen to music on Spotify and occasionally have trouble finding the version of the Christmas Carol that I want to share, and have to post a backup because the one I want isn't on youtube. If that happens this year, I'll make sure to share exactly whose version makes the cut for the day. :)
2) The best way to listen to these songs is with your eyes closed (IMHO). You may think this is silly, but I get such a greater appreciation for the music if I've blocked out the distractions of the day, just relax, and take it in. Try it at least once...you might like it.
3) Having done both, it is a lot easier to move away to somewhere with built in friends (Cody) than not (Laramie). I have made some friends and found people to go do things with, but it just hasn't been "home" for me yet. I found an okay church, but it just isn't home either. I haven't necessarily been lonely, but I've had more moments of homesickness than I thought I would.
That night I couldn't sleep, I lay in bed listening to wonderful, beautiful music about the birth of our Lord. I felt such peace and love from the Holy Spirit which reassured me that there is more than one way to worship.
4) With just a couple notable exceptions (I Want A Hippopotamus For Christmas and Where Are You Christmas?), I really don't like secular Christmas music. Almost every song in this year's jukebox is a religious Christmas Carol and has moved me to tears at some point or another. You won't find many secular songs here.
5) Just as we prepare our hearts for Easter in the period of Lent, we should prepare our hearts for the birth of Jesus during the time of Advent. Advent is a season of waiting, waiting, waiting as we joyfully anticipate the coming of our Messiah. While there are plenty of ways to prepare ourselves for the coming baby Jesus, I use these songs, among many, to feel the joy and excitement that Jesus' birth brings.
Praise be to God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment