Saturday, May 25, 2013

Bear Girls: Part II


What ANOTHER awesome day for the Bear Girls! Unfortunately, that did not mean seeing any bears...but there is still hope for another day. After an awesome sleep at the Wyoming Inn in Jackson, we got up and headed back through the Tetons. With only 2 clouds in the sky (that we could see) we had terrific weather, and although it was cool and breezy, it wasn't bad out.

I called Mom as we were leaving Jackson because she had taken an AMAZING picture with the Tetons reflecting into Jackson Lake that I absolutely love. I was determined to find where this picture might have been taken and we set out on a mission. We never found that spot, but we found places for other great pictures.

Mom's picture....our measure for success:



The ones we were able to get:





We left the Tetons and headed back into Yellowstone, stopping at Old Faithful for a picnic lunch in the car including PB&J with Sundrop and a healthy dose of the Backstreet Boys playing on the radio. Backstreet's back, alright?

We then left, grooving to the music, and went up the Mammoth Hot Springs and then over the Lamar Valley to Tower Junction before heading out of the park. We saw lots of bison in the Lamar Valley, and a good number of bison calves. Most were sacked out asleep in the afternoon sunshine although we did see one frolicking around.









The northern part of Yellowstone is my favorite. We saw lots of water in the rivers due to snow melt, one of which was roaring at us. It was hard to hear each other talk.


Leaving Yellowstone was gorgeous, as usual, and we headed out the Chief Joseph Highway through the Sunlight Basin and Dead Indian Pass. THAT is my favorite spot in all of Wyoming. The further into we got, the more Anne agreed with me. :)





Quick funny story...I had been telling Anne all about the Beartooth Mountains and kept looking for them to point out the main peak to her. We both kept looking around at different points and she kept saying, "I think that's it!" based on what I had described to her. I would look in my rearview mirror or the side mirrors and say, "No! That isn't it....it's crooked! The one we want is pointy!" Finally, she said "Kathryn, I REALLY think that's it and I want you too look at it." Since nothing was coming either direction, I stopped in the middle of the road and turned completely around. Sure enough, the one SHE had been looking at WAS the Beartooth Mountain, and the one I had been looking at was the peak right next to it! I wasn't getting the same angle from my mirrors that she was getting for hers. So I pulled off on the side of the road and we got out to take some really fun pictures. You can see the main peak that I was talking about, and the slightly crooked peak off to the right that was the one I thought she was talking about. We laughed really hard about that one. :)


We are off to the museum today so I can get in a little work before I come back to NC on vacation next week and for Anne to see the museum. Then we're kidnapping Hazel for a couple hours to play and go for a walk and then get ready for Cassie's tonight! We're going out to Cassie's for supper with Coy, Bo, and Hazel and a couple other people. Hopefully we'll get to do some dancing while we're there! (Cassie's is a restaurant with a live band and a dance floor. It'll be great!)


No comments:

Post a Comment