Thursday, January 16, 2014

Applying to School



Sorry I haven't been blogging much these days. There are a couple updates to explain why. I applied to a couple of museum jobs last fall, and even had interviews, but none of them ended up working out. So...I am applying to grad school. I'm applying to the University of Wyoming and the University of Montana (Missoula) to get a Master of Arts in US History with the specific focus of the American West. Technically you could say my master's degree will be in western American history, but I don't think that is its official title.

Last fall while Mom and Dad were out visiting, we took a trip to Missoula to check out the campus and talk with the head of the history department. I left that visit being able to see myself there but not sure if that's where I really wanted to go. In November, I went to Laramie to have the same type of visit at the Univ. of WY. When I first moved out here last January (I've made it a year! Hooray!), Dad and I drove through and looked at it as we drove past. Honestly, I wasn't very impressed and pretty much crossed it off my list. But....since i'm now in-state in Wyoming I thought i'd give it another chance. I'm glad I did! I really enjoyed my visit there and the people I talked to....so it has bumped up to my first choice out of the 2. I'm studying for the GRE (again.) and will take it in about 3 weeks, and also working on editing my writing sample and filling out the applications. I'm sure the next couple of weeks will go too fast....but I should be in good shape by the deadline- March 1st.

I will certainly let you know once I hear back....hopefully I get accepted to both of them and will have to make a decision! :) In case I don't post in the next couple of weeks, I am busy finalizing my applications. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment