What started out as not planning to be in North Carolina turned into a really long, great visit back for Thanksgiving! I was asked to go on a trip to New York City to help babysit and everything worked out for me to be in Lenoir for Thanksgiving. As usual, it was great to be back and see family and friends.
While I was in New York, I got to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. My great-grandfather, Henry Gabrielsen, came through Ellis Island from Norway when he was 6 years old. Around 12 million people passed through Ellis Island on their way to the U.S. The 1st floor of the main building was where all the luggage was dropped off to be shipped. The 2nd floor was the waiting area where families waited to be questioned by officials and doctors before being shown 1 of 3 doors. One end of this room had 4 or 5 podiums where the officials wrote down in the register or log book information about each immigrant- where they came from, where they were going, age, gender, etc. During this questioning, doctors would examine them and if they were deemed ill, they were either sent to the hospital complex also on the island or back to their homeland. Sometimes doctors only had 6 seconds to complete an examination. Behind the podiums were the stairs to the 3 doorways. If you got sent to the right, you had to go to the hospital- to the left and you were sent back to your home country- down the middle and you were free to enter the U.S.
Reading books I had always imagined lots of rooms in this huge building. While the building WAS fairly large, I was surprised that the waiting area and interview and doctor's examination all took place in the same space.
Part of the main building was still closed due to repairs from damage during Hurricane Sandy so I didn't get to see everything, but I did get to see enough to get a great idea of what it was like. I can't imagine the chaos in that building. Up to 5,000 people a day were processed through. Amazing.
The day I went was really snowy and cold and bad weather so I went back another day when it was clear to get some perspective on distance and size from Manhattan to the islands. Here's some pictures!
Lady Liberty
The main building on Ellis Island
Baggage Area on 1st floor
2nd floor - waiting area, interview area, and examination area all in this space. Most of the room would have been filled with benches. I am standing beside the podiums looking out where people were waiting.
Looking across the dock area to the hospital complex. These are not available for visitors to see.....they haven't ever been I don't think....not just because of Sandy.
Me in front of the building. :)
I also got to go to the World Trade Center Memorial while I was in New York. That was a really great memorial to see. I'll post pictures from that soon!
I came back to Cody last Thursday and head back to NC on Wednesday.....I will be in Wyoming for a grand total of 6 days in the month of December. I will say that I was extremely happy to NOT be in Wyoming last week.....the high was 0* and I heard from a couple people that it was -30* on one of the days. Not fun at all!!
No comments:
Post a Comment